Social Innovators Challenge Finalists Announced
Finalists Announced For Social Innovators Challenge Competition
Last year in collaboration with Future X, we brought you Impact Fringe events across our delivery colleges! These events which tied into the Impact Summit event held at SWG3, brought students together across our delivery colleges, generated conversations about purpose-led businesses, and gave students the chance to learn more about making positive outcomes in business!
Back in February of this year we launched our brand new college-wide competition in collaboration with Future X - Social Innovators Challenge!
Before colleges closed due to COVID19, the competition welcomed FE students, across our delivery colleges to participate in a Social Innovators Challenge workshop! The workshop gave students the opportunity to learn more about the competition, the key themes of the challenge, and how they could generate an idea that could lead to a purpose-led start-up business.
Despite the closure of colleges and students then working from home, students were still able to participate and enter the competition, as the competition then turned virtual! Students were able to access the resources, continue to work on their ideas, or enter the competition if they were unable to attend a workshop due to college closures.
The competition links into the Impact Summit 2020 original three key themes. The event now due to take place at SWG3 next month, will now stream as a virtual event on Wednesday 20th May 2020. The themes tie into sustainability, and the importance of implementing change & impact in the world today.
Students entering were asked to generate a fresh idea and innovative idea that could be developed further, which would tie into the following themes:
- Tech For Good
Technology has the potential to become one of the most effective and widespread forced for good on the planet.
- Sustainable Fashion
Tomorrow's trend is clothing that comes with a price tag we - and the planet can afford.
- Climate Change
Putting the planet before profit is not a trade-off, it's an investment plan.
Students were then asked to create a one-page webpage to showcase their idea, but also to gain basic skills on how to upload and design a webpage. Shortlisted student ideas were then asked to create a 1-2minute video pitch showcasing their innovative ideas and how they see their ideas coming to life if they were to win the bumper prize package!
Ideas were then reviewed by Bridge 2 Business & Future X, who then came to a decision of a winner. It was no easy job coming to a decision as students had blown us away with their ideas and efforts!
We are excited to announce the finalists of the Social Innovators Challenge 2020! The winner will be announced at the virtual Impact Summit 2020:
- Anya Rae - A Breathe Of Fresh Ayr (Ayrshire College) -Treatments and group classes tying into wellbeing and meditation classes which can be accessed online.
- Mary Beth Pearson - Meli Beseu (Ayrshire College) - Fashion accessories produced from sustainable and Eco-friendly fabric.
- Fi Thorburn - The Yellow Barrow (Ayrshire College) - An app that addresses social, economic, and health matters via the medium of gardening.
- Waqar Mehmood - PropelStudents (Edinburgh College) - An app to support students in everyday life, and to make life easier in finding everything in one place.
- Alice Mitchell - Papeterie EcoEvents (Ayrshire College) - Papeterie EcoEvents focusses on promoting the reduction of waste at parties and gatherings.
- Vera Bartolozzi - Switch Scotland - (Edinburgh College) - A digital platform created to fight sexual harassment in the use of social communication between young people.
- Krystal Baird - Support For Dyslexia (Ayrshire College) -Supporting individuals with Dyslexia in the new innovative learning ways.
- £500 cash prize to begin developing their idea
- A feature in The Herald newspaper
- Upgraded WIX website package
- Mentorship from Scottish entrepreneur (Impact Summit Speaker)
- Digital Marketing 1-2-1 mentorship from Bridge 2 Business
- Tickets to Start Up Summit 2020
- Idea showcased at virtual Impact Summit 2020